Manhattan Child Support Lawyers

Expert Child Support Representation in Riley, Geary, Wabaunsee, and Pottawatomie Counties

Child support is an important matter you and the other parent have to settle upon divorce. By law, both parents must financially support their children, and Kansas implements a child support guideline that calculates a base amount of support based on both parents’ gross incomes. Our family law attorneys at CJI Law can guide you through the child support calculation process to ensure a fair amount is being ordered, whether you are the receiving parent or the paying parent. We will communicate consistently and honestly with you every step of the way and work towards an agreement that is favorable to you.

Do you have concerns about your child support matter? Call CJI Law today at (785) 434-3005 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation with our child support attorneys in Manhattan, KS.

Understanding Child Support Responsibilities in Kansas

While both parents have the responsibility of financially supporting their children after divorce, the parent who does not have primary residential custody of the children makes actual child support payments. This is because the primary custodial parent is presumed to be spending the required amount in the care of the child.

Duration of Child Support Payments in Kansas

Child support payments usually last until the children turn 18 years old or 19 years old if the child is still in high school. The final child support order may specify how the paying parent is expected to provide the money, or it may leave the order open-ended. In any case, both parents must obey the order, otherwise, you can file a motion to enforce the order with the court.

Calculating Child Support According to Kansas Guidelines

Kansas’ child support guidelines calculate the basic amount of child support based on both parents’ adjusted gross incomes from the past 3 years. In the context of child support calculations, income is all earned and unearned income during a calendar year, including your:

  • salary;
  • wages;
  • commissions;
  • overtime pay; 
  • bonuses; 
  • royalties; 
  • tips; 
  • rent;
  • dividends; 
  • severance pay; and 
  • military pensions.

A court may impute or assign an income value to the noncustodial parent if it appears that the parent voluntarily works less or not at all for the purposes of avoiding the child support obligation. 

Appropriate deductions for items like spousal support, union dues, and state and federal income taxes should then be deducted from both parent's gross income to obtain the final adjusted gross income for determining child support based on the amounts listed in the guidelines.

It is possible to ask the judge to adjust the amount of support determined by the guidelines based on reasons affecting the child’s well-being, such as the child’s special needs, their extraordinary expenses, income tax considerations, and the parents' overall financial condition.  

Contact our child support attorneys in Manhattan today to learn more about how CJI Law can help you.

Caffey, Johnson & Ingels

  • Miranda B. Johnson Photo
    Miranda B. Johnson
    Attorney & Partner
    Miranda B. Johnson received her Juris Doctorate from the Washburn University School of Law in 2006. Her areas of practice include Divorce and Family Law, Child in Need of Care, Juvenile Offender, Child Support Enforcement and Collections, Adoption, ...
  • Lora D. Ingels Photo
    Lora D. Ingels
    Attorney & Partner
    Lora D. Ingels is a Kansas native, graduating magna cum laude from Wichita State University with a bachelor’s in political science. Ms. Ingels received her Juris Doctorate from Washburn University in 2006, and was admitted to practice in Kansas in 2006. ...
  • Erik E. Hageman Photo
    Erik E. Hageman
    Associate Attorney
    Erik E. Hageman, a native of Abilene Kansas worked for Caffey, Johnson & Ingels, P.A. for three years while he attended Kansas State University. During undergrad he also worked for the Dickinson County Attorney’s Office in Abilene. Erik received his ...

Kansas Child Support Modification

While child support is an official court order, both parents have the right to request the court to modify the payment amount. You can request a modification at any time if you are able to demonstrate that you have experienced a material change in circumstances resulting in either an increase or reduction in your income by at least 10%. For instance, losing your job, relocating, getting a new job, or having a baby could all be grounds for a modification. 

Kansas calculates support differently for different age groups, so it is possible that a modification request submitted when a child is younger may not be approved, while the same request when the child is older may pass.

The Kansas Department of Child Support Services also automatically reviews child support cases every 4 years, regardless of whether you submit a request for modification. In their review, they may decide to make adjustments to the child support order if they find that either parent's income has changed.

Contact Our Manhattan, KS Child Support Attorneys Today

If you are dealing with child support issues, whether you are the paying parent or the receiving parent, reach out to our child support lawyers at CJI Law for legal assistance. We can make sure the appropriate income value is being considered when calculating the child support obligation, as well as help you build a case for adjusting that amount higher or lower. 

Schedule a free consultation with CJI Law today to get started with our child support lawyers in Manhattan, KS. Don’t navigate this alone when we can stand beside you and your children.

Why Choose CJI Law?

  • Our Client's Best Interests Are Priority
  • Honest Legal Counsel & Advice
  • Skilled Litigators With Prosecution Experience
  • Over 60 Years of Combined Experience

Contact Us Today

Schedule Your Free Initial Consultation
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
Ready to Get Started?